Monday, September 14, 2015

First Grade: Race to a Quarter

The first is a money trading game, a lot like the
chip trading game I described here.

This game is VERY simple but powerful for the kids
because it helps them to make those connections that 5 pennies = 1 nickel,
2 nickels = 1 dime, etc...
Each student has a gameboard and there is one student in each group
that I select to be the banker.
I love using these chip trays to organize manipulatives!
Gotta love the Dollar Tree! :)
Students roll dice and collect coins from the banker
and keep making trades.
I call this game, "Race to a Quarter!"
The other game I made so my students could simply have
practice using coins to show different amounts.
It's called, "Piggy Race", because they are trying to
get to the piggy in the middle first to be the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment